Saturday, January 31

Newsletter: Month One

Dear Violet,

It was always my hope that once I had a little one, I'd been able to take the time to write to him/her. To give him or her a little insight into what life was like in those first few early months. This first month has been life changing to say the least; it's amazing how much you've taught us and how much we've all learned. Because of you, a new world has opened up for me and your father; the world of babies. Now I am fascinated by baby instruction manuals, other moms and mostly by the best baby teacher around...you. You've already taught me so much. For one, my world is no longer about me. Two, nothing is as satisfying as a well-consoled happy child. And three, the key to a happy Violet is a bouncy chair/bouncy knee, burrito swaddle and binky.

You've also learned quite a bit yourself. This month, you learned how to play on your play mat for up to a hour and a half (btw, mommy is so grateful!), how to hold up your head, how to stick out your tongue, how to play games (your current favorite being-find the red birdie) and how to scare mommy by pushing off her lap with your strong little legs. Each day is a learning experience, every morning you wake up wide eyed and ready to coo and practice smiling. And each night is a teaching experience, as you teach mommy and daddy how difficult or easy it can be to console you, based on your mood.

Overall, you've been an easy baby with only a few minutes of fussiness here and there. Which is a complete 180 from your first week when you cried non-stop for days while we tried to figure out the breast feeding thing. I will always feel a bit of guilt about not being able to breast feed you but I suppose my body did all it could just getting you here and that's plenty. Today we met with the other moms and dads from the prenatal baby class, and I once again felt the pangs of guilt as they discussed the ease and benefits of breastfeeding. I've learned that just like a shirt covered in spit up, guilt is something that all mothers wear from time to time.

I hope our learning never stops and based on your current inquisitive nature I have a good feeling it never will. But one thing I hope you always know, is what a blessing you are to your family and how much your mommy and daddy love you.

Love,
Momma

No comments: